Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gotta Love the Church

Today was our first Sunday at church. We had planned to go last Sunday, got all ready, then our stroller showed up without a wheel so we were confined to the apartment.

We went to the Dahlem Ward which has English translation. They also have an English Sunday School class. We were immediately greeted as we walked up to the building and several people before and after Sacrament meeting came up and introduced themselves. Just about everyone spoke decent English and I noticed that a lot of the side conversations I heard in the foyer were in English. It kind of felt like home. There are a lot of Americans in the ward.

The Fellows family invited us over for dinner. They have a tradition of having popcorn and ice cream for dinner on Sundays. They are a super great family and we were glad to make new friends. They also let us borrow a high chair (the apartment has one but it is too small for Cooper...he gets stuck when we try to get him out) and they gave us a box of brown sugar. I can't tell you how excited I am about the brown sugar. I found some "brown sugar" at the grocery store here but it is more like sugar in the raw or natural cane sugar. So not gonna cut it for chocolate chip cookies! The kids loved Cooper and he loved them. He just gets so excited when he's around kids. It's such a funny thing to watch him yell with excitement.

It was so nice to go to church and just have that familiarity and be surrounded by a group of friends that share your same beliefs. The church is also in a beautiful neighborhood. The walk from the train station to the church building is beautiful and park-like with cobblestone roads. I'll have to take pictures next week. I'm looking forward to the Sundays that we spend here in Berlin.

3 comments:

  1. I know the feeling...it is pretty great to be able to go to church anywhere in the world and know it is the same everywhere! Congrats on making friends, that is my favorite part of a new place...the peeps. (Marissa, not Sean)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like everything is going pretty good. Except for that whole stroller incident. I seriously can't believe they sent you that little pink stroller. Germany sounds like a pretty neat place and I'm glad that Cooper has adjusted so well. I love all the pictures and can't wait to see all the fun things you guys will get to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...when I made chocolate chip cookies there, I had to use the powdered vanilla sugar (no liquid vanilla), no brown sugar, and you have to make chocolate chips yourself by cutting a chocolate bar up. :) Maybe Berlin has more amenities than Munich though. :)

    I have to laugh when I see Cooper in his little pink stroller with the jeep tray tied on!

    ReplyDelete