Monday, June 8, 2009

Copenhagen

Ahhhh, Copenhagen! I love this place. It was good to be back and the weather was beautiful, if not a little hot.

First stop: Stroeget (anyone know how to do a "slash-oh" on a pc?)
And then the Little Mermaid
I mean, the Little Mermaid
This was a little canal by our hotel
The Kings Garden
We do let Cooper out of his stroller sometimes...
This was a fountain by the Little Mermaid. I, as usual, can't remember what it was called.
I love our faces in this shot. Like mother, like son...
And this is a statue erected for some explorer.
Apparently Monday mornings is not a very touristy time. Check out all the people at the Palace grounds.
I used to ride my bike over this bridge all the time.
This is the National Library on the left, also known as the "Black Pearl". Danes either love or hate the building, mostly hate, if I remember correctly.
This is Cooper looking intently at the kids crossing the bridge on a playground by the canal.
The park by the canal was packed full of people because it was nice and toasty. The craziest thing is that because it was a holiday there were no shops open. Even this ice cream shop was closed. It was just a little reminder that we were not in the states. Nobody wanted to capitalize on the situation. I think I would have paid $20 for an ice cream and yet there was no one around to sell me one. A real shame.
And what is a visit to Copenhagen without seeing Thorvaldsen's Kristus at Vor Frue Kirke?
The Twelve Apostles line the walls leading up to Christ. These statues are amazing.
Check out the organ
I'm really glad I was able to go back to Copenhagen. I was finally able to confirm that my Danish truly is as horrible as I suspected. I guess that's what happens when you don't get a chance to use it in 7 years.

Also, did you know that Darth Vader lives in Copenhagen? It's true, I met him. Here's the proof. He turns tricks for money.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so jealous! You gotta love Copenhagen! Kyle and I went (I'd been home 3 years) and someone told me I sounded like a missionary who had been there for 6 months. I'm sure if I went back now I would sound like a "greenie"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun, you saw some amazing things! Of course, running into Darth Vader tops them all. That is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete